Thursday, April 25, 2013

On The Verge

The tagline for the poster would be “Progressing through Regression”. We talked about this a bit in class, but I think one of the biggest changes in the script is with the transition of the language the women speak and how it slowly starts to dwindle over time. By the end of the play, the only person still speaking “properly” is Mary, who continues on with the journey. That is significant to the script because it shows the world as it was, is and most likely will be. Overmyer portrays this idea that things do get better over time and that the world is improving, but at the same time it’s falling apart. It’s similar to what that guy in The Cabin in the Woods said; the problem isn’t that we’re so spaced out, the real issue is that we’re all too connected, especially in America. By being so close, people distance themselves from one another if that makes sense. Basically, people are always looking for the next big thing (hint, hint: On The Verge) and because of that they rarely value what they already have. Always looking for more, never satisfied, but I’m being hypocritical so my rant is over now. Image wise, I’d roll with something abstract. I really like the idea of a black and white spiral inside a clock on the poster and the outside of the clock could be scenes from the play like the jungle, the tundra and the yeti, the moon and snow, etc. Locations/time travel is kind of important in this piece and I definitely think that would capture attention. As for Mr. Coffee, we talked about this in class and I’m glad we did because him being “Death” never crossed my mind. I understood the Stock Market Crash reference but I thought he was just some other guy time traveling because when he leaves Fanny, Alex calls him Bebe Rebozo (Nixon’s boy). I could see him as “Death” or some sort of entity though; he’s certainly not from where the ladies are.

1 comment:

  1. This is a cool point. I liked that the image of regression that you chose to point out was with the language and the intricate words used in the beginning started to become less and less intricate as the action of the play progressed. When thinking about your tagline, too, it makes me reference actual history which you touched on with the 1929 Stock Market crash. I thought that as the women progressed through time into the future, which we know as the present-day reader, the more repression or oppression that the women would possibly encounter since for almost every year after the fifties, something in America was politically or culturally oppressing its population.

    ReplyDelete